Alberta returned to Step 1 on April 6, and on April 19 imposed greater restrictions provincewide as infection rates in Calgary, Edmonton and Wood Buffalo/Fort McMurray created concern for the Health Care system.
Mandatory restrictions – Provincewide – Revised April 27
Eligible participants include:
- youth 18 years old and under (except for Calgary, Edmonton and Fort McMurray youth in grades 7 to 12 – see below)
- members of a collegiate or university athletic program
- coaches or trainers
Limited group physical activities allowed
- Lessons, practices and physical conditioning activities are allowed for indoor and outdoor minor sports/activities and school athletics (for example, school sport activities that are outside of a physical education class or related part of the school curriculum).
- Games are not allowed.
Maximum of 10 total individuals, including all coaches, trainers, and participants.
- Indoor and outdoor playing surfaces (for example, arena, field, court or swimming pool) may be occupied by more than one youth group, as long as 3-metres of physical distancing can be maintained between groups of 10 and the groups do not intermingle.
Physical distancing must be maintained between participants at all times:
- 3 metres physical distance for indoor activities
- 2 metres physical distance for outdoor activities
- coaches or trainers may enter physical distancing space for brief interactions with participants (for example, to correct form or technique)
Participants must be masked at all times, except during high intensity physical activity. Coaches and trainers must remain masked at all times.
Access to change rooms must be limited, including accelerated arrival and departure, emergencies (for example, first aid) and washroom use.
- K-12 schools and post-secondary institutions are allowed to use off-site facilities to support curriculum-related educational activities.
Additional measures for Calgary, Edmonton and Fort McMurray youth
All youth indoor sport and recreation activities that are not part of a school program (for example, physical education) are not permitted for:
- grade 7 to 12 youth in the municipalities of Calgary and Edmonton
- kindergarten to grade 12 youth in the municipality of Fort McMurray
- this includes homeschooled students
These activities will be permitted again when in-person learning resumes.
Outdoor sport and recreation activities and 1-on-1 indoor fitness with a trainer or coach are still permitted.
Indoor activities may be moved outdoors, provided all safety requirements for outdoor physical activities are followed.